PRINCIPAL TUNNEL ENGINEER [CANADA]
Job Title: Principal Tunnel Engineer
Reporting to: Project Director, Managing Director
Hours: Dependent on utilisation in design and on site
Location: Toronto / GTA; Eligible to work in Canada
Date Posted: 16th January 2020
Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation (DSP) has a record of delivering high quality and innovative tunnel design solutions for public and private underground infrastructure. We deliver under tight programme controls by working efficiently with highly qualified and motivated team members. During construction we are instrumental in implementing the design compliant to specifications and drawings through a tight but supportive Construction Supervision process.
Purpose of the role:
The Principal Tunnel Engineer will head the SEM supervision team and will be the link between the local Managing Director and the delivery of design and/on-site supervision projects. For on-site projects his role is to set up the project team, implement company and site-specific procedures. The candidate needs to be able to step into the role of the Senior SEM Engineer on site who heads the SEM supervision team on a specific construction site.
The Principal Tunnel Engineer manages the site supervision team, which includes the SEM/Geotechnical Engineers and the Senior SEM Inspectors, to ensure compliance with the design and to provide QA/QC oversight as far as it concerns the excavation and support work of the mined stations. The Principal Tunnel Engineer works closely with the contractor’s construction and engineering team and needs to find agreement with the Contractor’s Tunnel Manager. In the field the Principal Tunnel Engineer will evaluate and assess geologic and hydrologic conditions or ground support categories and approve or if required, direct use of ground support measures. The job holder will also coordinate with the Contractor, track the construction schedule and provide input to improve production, quality, safety and logistics, based on information received from the Senior SEM Inspectors, if required. The Principal Tunnel Engineer will produce a monthly status report and attend all required meetings.
In a design project the Principal Tunnel Engineer will take the lead in the SEM / Tunnel specific design effort. The successful candidate will implement the company and project specific design processes, working closely with the Technical Director and other Senior Staff members for the efficient production of tunnel designs (drawings, analysis, specs, reports).
The Principal Tunnel Engineer will also assist the Managing Director in Business development and procurement activities, representing the company and developing bidding strategies and supporting documentation.
Responsibilities and duties:
In the role of Principal SEM Engineer on Site, the Principal Tunnel Engineer will be responsible for producing construction documentation such as technical reports, notes, RES-sheets, monthly and final reports as well as overseeing the accurate documentation of all contractor’s activities through the SEM supervision team.
The principal duties are:
- Timely production of monthly reports, RES-Sheets, additional documentation
- Managing and supervising the team of SEM Inspectors working in a 24/7 shift pattern
- Providing construction support solutions to the contractor’s representatives in line with the design
- Carrying out geological and geotechnical assessment of the encountered ground and water conditions
- Assist the development of construction processes and logistic planning such as excavation sequences in line with design documents and/or design intent
- Participate and embrace DSP’s quality control procedures such as ISO 9001:2015 and the Quality Management Plan
- Report construction activities and issues to the DSP Project Director (P.Eng, Engineer on record)
In the role of Tunnel Design Lead, the principal duties are:
- Development of design and resource schedules
- Timely production of design documents according to design schedules
- Managing and supervising small efficient design teams
- Providing constructability review and input to design process
- Represent the company and present the design advance in workshops with clients and owners
Qualifications and Experience required:
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering or similar
- P.Eng license or license in process in Civil Engineering
- Working experience of five tunnel design and/or supervision and construction projects including urban stations, soft ground SEM/NATM tunnelling and multiple drift excavation
- Thorough knowledge of the structural design of tunnels and a high-level understanding of geotechnical engineering
- Excellent English and French language, representation, organisation and communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of MS office software package
- Experience on national (Canadian) and international Tunnelling projects
- Eligibility to work in Canada
Qualifications and Experience advantageous:
- Experience in Live Cycle Design
- Experience in Tunnel Inspection and Repair Measures
- Knowledge of drawing production in AutoCAD and/or MicroStation
Please submit your application and resume to our Toronto office:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees.