About The Role
Balfour Beatty Vinci has an exciting opportunity for a Geotechnical co-ordinator to join our team to work in Birmingham.
Providing geotechnical support to Design Managers in sub-lots and be the first point of contact for all earthworks and geotechnical queries.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Ensure up to date, quality assured Ground Investigation information is provided to the Permanent and Temporary Works Designers and the BBV supply chain.
- Oversee the management of geotechnical risk and opportunity relating to design and construction.
- Provide technical expertise to ensure realisation of opportunities and management of risks.
- Technical Assurance checks and reviews of geotechnical work forming part of the permanent and temporary works design, with appropriate encounter for cost efficient solutions.
- Contribute to the development of strategies and methods for management of materials.
- Technical Assurance role (check and reviews) of design deliverables (eg GIDRs).
- Liaise with the CAT3 checker as required for independent assurance processes.
- Advise on construction methods, e.g. dewatering, piling, de-wall, ground improvement, excavation techniques, soil substation (Rayleigh waves), tunnelling excavation and disposal of material, deep excavations, monitoring.
- Advise on ground engineering temporary works.
- Maintain a high degree of technical competence and an awareness of current sources of external, practical, cost-effective design and construction advice in the various specialist areas of ground engineering.
- Provide technical support and management of ground engineering aspects to the wider BBV team. ensuring that key ground engineering factors affecting the project are identified and addressed in a technical, value-engineered, cost-effective and safe manner and appropriate risk management provisions implemented.
Who we’re looking for
- Qualified Geotechnical Engineer/Geologist or a related discipline
- Significant experience in consultancy and/or a main contractor or specialist ground engineering contractor
- Experience of geotechnical risk identification, quantification and mitigation
- Broad experience of all aspects of applied ground engineering from shallow and deep foundations, earthworks, retaining walls, deep basements, reinforced soil structures, shafts and tunnelling, to ground improvement and impact on Third Parties
- Experience and confidence to constructively challenge to optimise design solutions which balance project requirements, risks and constraints
- People management skills, effective delegation, mentoring, coaching and developing others
- Working knowledge of CDM 2015 Regulations
Why work for us
Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV) is responsible for designing and building part of the most exciting and challenging infrastructure project in Europe: HS2.
We are building the West Midlands section of HS2’s Phase One route, spanning approximately 90km from Long Itchington in Warwickshire to the centre of Birmingham and on to Handsacre in Staffordshire. We will be employing thousands of people from the region to design and build the civil infrastructure for HS2 and we are looking for a wide range of skills to join the team and support this unique and ground breaking project.
Diversity and Inclusion: We aim to be a leader in equality, diversity and inclusion by creating a safe inclusive working environment for all – living our values of Safety, Respect, Integrity and Leadership. We are positive and inclusive about making adjustments, providing flexible working, encouraging all staff to engage in a diverse range of year round learning opportunities and provide personal development opportunities. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture.
Flexible working: Flexible or agile working is encouraged at BBV and we recognise the value and diversity of candidates which this can bring to our business operations. Not every role can provide a variety of working patterns to suit people’s personal needs however we are happy to discuss agile working opportunities at BBV with you.
Disability confident: We care about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse set of backgrounds and experiences. BBV is Disability Confident committed and we welcome applications from candidates with a disability.
Balfour Beatty VINCI is a long established joint venture between two global leaders in the delivery of critical infrastructure. Working together for over 30 years, we have been successful in delivering a number of significant infrastructures; creating unrivalled expertise and capability across rail, highways and aviation sectors in the UK and beyond.
In 2008, we announced our formal alliance with the aim of delivering modern and innovative solutions to the UK’s infrastructure needs. Since then, our collaboration has gone from strength to strength. We’ve successfully bid and delivered many key projects for Crossrail and Highways England Smart Motorways Programme. Balfour Beatty VINCI is a powerhouse for critical infrastructure.