ROLE TITLE: PIC– TBM Shift Manager
FUNCTION: Construction Team
REPORTS TO: Agent
LOCATION: Sub Lot 1
ROLE PURPOSE: To lead and control a section of the works, according to a specific discipline. Management of a team of Section Engineers, Site Engineers within same discipline.
FINANCIAL: Identifies changes to works information on drawings and wider commercial and contractual implications. Able to gather information for and produce contract required documentation to support commercial recovery. Section budget monitoring and ownership.
ORGANISATIONAL: Interfaces with other Sub Agents. Manages a team of Section Engineers.
INTERFACES INTERNAL: Operations Team (all levels), Health and Safety Team, Commercial Team.
EXTERNAL: Subcontractors, periodic interface with Client and other stakeholders
- Live the BBV Values
- Support the delivery of BBV’s Sustainability activities
HEALTH SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL
- Reviews Method Statements and Risk Assessments and makes improvements as appropriate
- Able to lead an Accident / Incident Investigation (HFACS and ‘Four Page Report’)
- Carries out trend analysis and identifies improvement areas from audits and near misses.
- Carries out field audits and confirms the sufficiency of control documentation
- Production and implementation of Permits to Work, specifically Confined Space Permits and Hot Works Permits
- Strong understanding of temporary works and timescales for implementation into the works.
- Guides & coaches subordinates in technical requirements and techniques of setting out
- Guides and coaches subordinates in resolution of construction issues, drawing on experience and accepted industry best practice
- Ownership of whole process of production, checking and submission of Handover Documentation (Green Files or equivalent)
- Implements systems and processes to support construction of the works in accordance with the specification (e.g. Materials Approval, NCR, Handover Documentation)
- Carries out trend analysis of the above and identifies improvement areas for non-conformance and business improvement
- Carries out Independent Inspections of their own section and of others
- Carries out Site Audits to check works and documentation compliance
- Coaches junior staff
- Liaise with designer to resolve technical issues
- Produces a fully resourced stage programme in the accepted format / software
- Tracks and monitors KPI compliance and recommends improvements to systems to maintain team production.
- Establishes monitors of production, translated to graphical form from the Programme to aid understanding of current status and identification of requirements for intervention.
- Cross references section programme to three weekly programme and ensures compatibility.
- Maintains accurate diary, including dialogue with external organisations (subcontractors)
- Produces a budget from the resourced programme and monitors / reviews weekly costs
- Involved in the procurement of subcontractors
- Manages sub-contractors
- Understands cost and value
- Drafts correspondence to sub-contractors, suppliers and Client
REQUIRED: The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately. Suggests and implements improvements to systems
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes with clarity, including managing others in this regard.
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights.
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility.
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS Card. SSSTS or SMSTS qualified.
- Excellent team player, able to work competently and independently without continuous supervision.
- Strong communication skills with solution orientated approach to issue resolution
- Excellent role model for development of junior staff and demonstrates required behaviours to align to project and team objectives.
HEALTH SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL
- Understands method statements and risk assessments, able to develop new and improved safe systems of work
- Understands the principles of Accident / Incident Investigation and has good working knowledge of the process
- Good working knowledge of current H&S Legislation
- A full understanding of technical requirements and techniques of setting out and coaching of junior staff
- Allocates correct resource levels and identifies additional requirements.
- Track record of solution orientated approach to issue resolution
- Understands the Organisational Business Management Systems and processes
- Strong understanding of requirements for handover, including certification
- Able to produce a fully resourced stage programme in the accepted format / software
- Able to measure and track KPIs for enhanced productivity.
- Strong knowledge and management of construction process in one or more of the following areas: Tunneling, Earthworks/Drainage, Pavement, Comms, Structures, Roadworks.
- Awareness of procurement practice
- Produces detailed records and correspondence for commercial recovery
THE FOLLOWING QUALITIES/EXPERIENCE ARE DESIRABLE:
- Good leadership skills.
- Wide ranging independent judgement evident
- Has achieved professional accreditation (e.g. ICE, IHT)
Please apply using this link – https://balfourbeattyvinci.co.uk/job-detail/?detail=bbv00452-tbm-shift-manager