Principal Materials Engineer
United Kingdom – East Midlands, Nottingham
Our team is looking for a Principal Materials Engineer with extensive experience in assessment and specification of construction materials in particular for concrete, hydraulically bound materials and aggregates. The role is within the ‘pavement and materials’ team but includes work on multi-disciplinary projects including highways, aviation, ports and maritime, tunneling, structures and bridges.
The successful candidate will work under the guidance of the Associate and will be responsible for providing specialist support and input to a range of construction projects and research projects. Typical work includes engagement with supply chain, assessing innovation, providing advice and specifications for appropriate material options, response to technical queries, testing requirements and review of results, advice related to nonconformance and repair options, practical buildability considerations etc. Responsibility will include leading the delivery of projects.
There is particular focus on supporting our Designers and Clients with more sustainable choices and the successful candidate will lead a new ‘sustainable materials’ working group alongside AECOM’s sustainability team.
We are seeking a knowledgeable and pragmatic individual who wishes to assist in the development of innovative, cost effective and buildable solutions in an environment that is collaborative, stimulating and demanding. The role would suit a self-motivated individual looking to advance their career in a dynamic team.
Due to the current climate most of the team are working from home. The team is well respected as experts in their field and require an individual with sound technical abilities to help enhance and grow the team.
Our clients are from the private and public sector and our leading UK clients include Highways England, Transport for London and a number of local authority organisations. We have an impressive portfolio of major national and international infrastructure projects. A selection of our current and recent projects includes:
- Collaborative Research – Roads industry sustainability indicators
- Design of the central section of the Thames Tideway Tunnel
- Asset Management transformation services to Dubai RTA and KSA MoT
- Materials research and design advice for Highways England and TfL
- Schiphol Airport pavement design and construction phase support
- Lower Thames Crossing GI
- Authoring Concrete Pavement Maintenance Manual
- Updates to Specifications for Defence Infrastructure Organisation and Highways England
- Development of technical content for University concrete roads maintenance course
- Knowledge of pavement engineering demonstrated by experience of pavement design, investigation and research.
- Knowledge or experience of road and airfield pavement engineering projects.
- Knowledge or experience of UK pavement design methodologies and contract documentation, including MCHW.
- Experience of pavement investigation projects for maintenance design and failure investigation.
- Knowledge of materials behavior underlying standard specifications.
Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Engineering – Civil
Business Line Transportation
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 251664BR
Additional Locations UK – Birmingham – Colmore Plaza, UK – Bristol – Portwall Place, UK – Glasgow – 120 Bothwell Street, UK – Leeds, UK – Liverpool, Merchants Court, UK – London – Aldgate Tower, UK – Manchester – 1 New York Street, UK – Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.