We are constructing a state-of-the-art underground mine to enable the extraction of Polyhalite – a unique multi-nutrient fertiliser – along with the necessary infrastructure both above and below ground that will be required for transport, processing and distribution.
To work here, you must share our values and determination to reach our goals quickly, efficiently and with the highest safety standards.
Join us as a Shift Superintendent where you will play a key role in supervising, directing, managing and leading all operations on a designated shift, including the management of people, equipment, and support services to ensure that all planned work is completed and that the project is run in accordance with the production schedule.
- Manage and allocate the resources assigned to the shift, giving clear direction to all direct reports to ensure that all designated work plans, tasks and instructions are delivered and executed safely and within the required timescales.
- Coordinate production work with mechanical, electrical and engineering service groups.
- Be responsible for the safety and wellbeing of all personnel working on the shift, overseeing all safe programmes of work in conjunction with HSE team.
- Inspect all work areas identifying and managing any necessary corrective actions.
- Supervise all shift members and coordinate the activities of all workers both on the surface and underground.
- Understand and implement the Company’s safety policy, standards and systems.
- Conduct risk assessments on activities within your area of responsibility, ensuring that the methods and systems of work are safe.
- Ensure accident and near-miss reporting procedures are understood and complied with and assist with accident investigations as required.
- Be aware of all active permit always relating to your area of responsibility.
- Ensure that the oncoming supervisor is briefed on all relevant matters, including any outstanding remedial actions that have been identified as part of an inspection.
- Immediately rectify or stop any operation or work that in your opinion needs to be rectified or stopped on grounds of safety.
- Set a personal example on all matters of health and safety.
- Undertake suitable monitoring of the ventilation system to ensure that the atmosphere within the mine does not pose a risk to people’s health and safety due to excessive gasses, dust or heat and humidity.
- Ensure that the scheme for planning and signing-off lifting is being followed, and that any equipment being used is within date.
- HND or equivalent in an engineering discipline
- CSCS ticket holder (manager level)
- Significant supervisory or management experience operating within heavy construction
- Able to engage with construction supervisors and the workforce to create alignment
- Able to conduct inspections and identify hazards and to record the results in a clear and structured manner
- A qualification in health and safety of at least the level of IOSH Working safely.
- Experience of working in a mining or tunneling environment.
- Experience of supervising and managing teams.
- Conduct inspections and identify hazards, implementing appropriate control measures and are able to record the results in a clear and structured manner.
- Interpret method statement and risk assessment documentation and clearly communicate requirements
- Monitor safe control of work systems and operational standards in a mining area.
- Solve problems in your daily work and use decision making techniques.
- Develop effective working relationships with management personnel, mining teams and contractors.
- Use coaching and mentoring methods to enable and support the project team’s delivery of their safety goals.
- Communicate effectively and can listen actively and provide constructive feedback.
- Organise, prioritise and allocate work in a way that effectively utilises the resources.
- Collate and analyse information to create reports and recommendations.
- Understand the possible approaches to managing conflict.
Woodsmith Mine site, near Whitby
A full UK driving license is required for this role.
Competitive depending on experience.
How To Apply
If you are viewing this role on the Woodsmith Project website, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button below. Otherwise, please visit our current vacancies page, click on the role you are interested in and then click the ‘Apply Now’ button near the bottom of the page. We do not accept applications from agencies.
We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
We will process your information in accordance with our Candidate Privacy Notice.