ROLE TITLE: Tunnel Manager
REPORTS TO: Project Manager / Construction Director
LOCATION: Sublot 1: Bromford, Long Itchington Wood
- Short term tunnel support (TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine), SCL (Sprayed Concrete Lining), Civils,) for the completion of the Early Contractor Involvement phase including the Bromford tunnel extension (in combination with one day a week Deputy Tunnel Manager), preparation of the Sublot 1 mobilisation and contribution to the programme and target pricing of the LM Enabling Works Contractor scope transfer,
- Mid/long term Management, leadership and control of a multi disciplinary team comprising Works Manager, Agents, Section Engineers, Site Engineers.
FINANCIAL: Short term ECI cost estimate, mid/long term Production of, monitoring and management of budget for works. Contribution to change control
ORGANISATIONAL: Short term Interfaces with other Preconstruction Engineer/SL PM, DJV, LM EWC and HS2 (High Speed 2), Mid/long term Interfaces with Tunnel Plant Manager, Agents and Team Leaders (Engineering, Survey, Temporary Works, Precast, Materials). Manages a team of Supervisory and Engineering Staff
INTERFACES INTERNAL: Operations Team (all levels), Health and Safety Team, Commercial Team.
EXTERNAL: Subcontractors, frequent interface with Client and other external stakeholders
- Health Safety & Environmental
- Monitors performance against targets and KPI’s (Key Performance Indicator) in line with Project targets and set jointly
- Carries out periodic Safety & Environment Tours as required by the Project H&S Plan
- Reviews Accident / Incident Investigations.
- Contributes to reviewing and appraising findings/ directing the appropriate action arising
- Contributes to appraising improvement options and leading action / instigating as appropriate
- Contributes to leading periodic risk reviews and taking output forward to the Project Risk Register
- Monitors effectiveness of the H & S Management System
- Keeps up to date with changes in legislation and cascades information to the team
- Ensures that sufficient resources are allocated to the Works Section and that each has an appropriate level of ability
- Identifies and arranges training as required
- Monitors performance against targets and KPI’s in line with Project targets and set jointly
- Ensures site audits are undertaken and takes appropriate action on the findings
- Contributes to appraising improvement options and leading / instigating actions as appropriate
- Implements systems and processes
- Involved in working groups focused on Improvement Areas
- Sets targets and KPI’s in line with key outputs and monitors performance, reporting Section Progress.
- Carry out constructive analysis of fully resourced programme Manages sub-contractor performance based on KPI’s
- Ensures production of operational target programmes to reflect overall construction programme Chairs weekly team meetings to review performance on site
- Sets targets and KPI’s in line with budget forecast
- Take part of weekly cost meetings and identifies improvement areas and allocates appropriate actions to team members
- Prepares a cost plan and manages cost v value
- Involved in the procurement of subcontractors and advises on commercial aspects / preferred attendances
- Produces the risk schedule for section, reviews and updates
- Able to clearly communicate the requirements of a safe system of work to ensure that these are followed accurately.
- Suggests and implements improvements to systems
- Capable of taking ownership of tasks and communicating outcomes with clarity, including managing others in this regard.
- Strong work ethic with flexibility to work unsociable hours/nights.
- Able to work on own initiative and seek out opportunities in line with level of responsibility and supervise others in this regard.
- Holds a current driving license and CSCS (Construction Skills Certification Scheme) Card.
- SMSTS qualified (Site Management Safety Training Scheme)
- Excellent team player and team leader, able to work independently without supervision.
- Reports back as necessary to update Line Management.
- Able and willing to make decisions following consideration of options based on best available information
- Strong communication skills with track record of solution orientated approach to issue resolution
- Excellent role model for development of junior staff and demonstrates required behaviours to align to business, project and team objectives.
HEALTH SAFETY & ENVIRONMENTAL
- Understands method statements and guides others in document production
- Understands and can guide others in the principles of Accident / Incident Investigation
- Good working knowledge of current H & S legislation
- Proficient in the application of Company Systems
- Innovative approach to enhancing safe systems of work
- Engineering Control
- Experienced in resource allocation and up skilling
- Understands the Organisational Business Management Systems and processes
- Clear understanding of the requirements for handover and self-certification of the works,
- including management experience of the same.
- Able to analyse and offer improvement on a fully resourced stage programme in the accepted format / software
- Understands sub-contractor KPI’s and has experience of using them to manage performance Able to dynamically shift programme and adapt to circumstances on site whilst maintaining focus on targets.
- Experience in the management of tunnel (TBM, SCL, shafts, cut and cover), including phasing and contingency planning
- Experienced in the management of varied infrastructure works, together with testing and handover.
- Used to setting targets in line with budget
- Able to produce a realistic financial forecast and track progress against programme.
- Identifies elements for cost recovery from others and guides junior members of staff in maintaining project records.
- Working knowledge of the NEC and other relevant forms of contract
Please use the following link to apply for this position BBV00861 _ https://balfourbeattyvinci.co.uk/job-detail/?detail=bbv00861-tunnel-manager