We have a great opportunity for a Tunnel Surveyor.
About the project
Our site at Chambers Wharf is located in Bermondsey in south east London and is within walking distance of Tower Bridge. It is famous for being home to the ‘booted man’, a medieval skeleton found during archaeological excavation works. Chambers Wharf is one of Tideway’s main drive sites, having recently launched tunnel boring machine (TBM) Selina, which has started her journey underground 5km eastwards to Abbey Mills Pumping Station. Chambers Wharf also recently received Ursula the TBM from our central site and ‘Annie’ our TBM used to form the Greenwich Connection Tunnel.
- Review, adjust, verification, export and upload of monitoring data.
- Least squares adjustment of control networks using StarNet and sets of angles program
- Upload of updated coordinates to CAP system
- Profile reports for shafts, wriggle reports for tunnel, portals and headwall
- As built, laser scans and topographic survey requests.
- Import, export & check tunnel design alignment(s) between Civil3D or similar and CAP
- Monitoring data reports for face loss calcs
- Revise design tunnel alignment if required
- Ability to mentor other staff in the department i.e. survey assistants
- Competent and up to speed with the latest Leica and Trimble equipment
- Able to produce good quality QA records for all surveying work
- Able to display good communication with other site disciplines
- Carry out monitoring exercises in line with the I&M plan
- CAD experience essential
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
- 5 years including 3 years in the tunnelling environment
- HND in Civil Engineering Surveying or Surveying and Mapping.
- NVQ Level 6 or above
- Full member of Chartered ICES or RICS
- You have good relationships built on an understanding of both your internal and external customers and you communicate professionally and competently.
- You are open and honest with your manager and staff; you deal effectively with good and poor performance and admit and act on your own weaknesses
- You are proactive in creating a positive safety and environmental culture and lead by example
- You are recognised as an enthusiastic and effective team player by both the local team and the wider Costain team along with external stakeholders. People enjoy working with you.
- You can be ‘counted on’ to deliver what you say you will do. You are able to respond where changes are required, and you seek and / or provide support to others in achieving your team’s accountabilities
- You can give examples of improving processes and your own capabilities; you are open to change and prepared to challenge the status quo.
- You demonstrate good timekeeping, you are hardworking, and prepared to, go the extra mile. Where applicable you develop your own successors
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.
Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will consider all applicants regardless of age, race, faith and socioeconomic background, including those from marginalised groups, such as (but not exclusive to):
- People who identify as LGBT+, including non-binary people
- People with physical or neurological disabilities
- People who have mental ill health
We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working, such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. In return, we will explore what is possible.
To find out more about our Inclusion strategy, please visit our ED&I page:
Right to Work & Security Checks
Understandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we’ll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK.
For some of our roles, you may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend at you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.A Disability Confident employer will generally offer an interview to any applicant that declares they have a disability and meets the minimum criteria for the job as defined by the employer. It is important to note that in certain recruitment situations such as high-volume, seasonal and high-peak times, the employer may wish to limit the overall numbers of interviews offered to both disabled people and non-disabled people. For more details please go to For more details please go to the Disability Confident website: